THIS IS A FREE UNSUPPORTED SOCIAL RIDE OPEN TO ANYONE.
If you have completed a century and are ready for something more challenging, this is the ride.
The course is all flat except for the bridges in New Smyrna Beach. After this, you will be able to laugh at your friends who do those wimpy centuries!!
We will stop at a famous outdoor biker bar for lunch. You can eat your lunch and still keep one eye on your expensive bike.
We share a rotating 1/2 mile pull pace line. This will be a fun and friendly ride.
Plan on and be prepared for an 18 to 19 MPH OVERALL AVERAGE MOVING SPEED. Depending on the wind this means we will be riding at between 18 and 21 MPH. At least 50 miles is on a flat freshly paved back road which will maximize your ability to draft.
When we first started this ride, everyone stuck together in a small group of 8 to 20 riders. However, we have grown into a larger group and we have to accommodate and respect varying rider levels and needs. Therefore, will offer two groups of riding speed as follows:
- “B” GROUP or “Constant Effort Group”: This is our signature and largest group where we all look out for one another. Speed will typically range from 18 to 22 miles per hour with an overall average between 18 and 19 MPH for the entire course. For the record, the slowest anyone has ever wanted to do this course in the past has been 18.1 MPH and that was in pouring rain the ENTIRE day! (see Sample Past Garmin Track above) Riders in this group can expect a consistent pace which will conserve energy without making you feel like a yoyo.
- “A” GROUP or “Jack Rabbit Group”: Riders in this group should expect varying intervals throughout the course depending on who is pulling at the time. Speed will typically range from 18 to 26 miles per hour with an overall average between 19 and 22 MPH for the entire course. This group typically rides at a faster pace for the first half of the course. Riders in this group can expect a more challenging workout with the ability to drop back to the “Constant Effort Group”.
The “A” group will roll out a few minutes before the “B” group to avoid a group identity crisis during the ride.
We will meet at each scheduled stop where you will have the opportunity to switch groups if you want to.
- 22 miles: Osteen – Texaco Foodmart – 15 minutes
- 60 miles: New Smyrna Beach – 7-Eleven – 15 minutes
- 67 miles: New Smyrna Beach Lunch – JJ Fins, Group Photo– 60 minutes
- 102 miles: Osteen – Texaco Foodmart – 15 minutes
Please contact Mike Pettis 407 849 7000 for more info.